Saturday, June 13, 2009

Running Milestone

Since I returned to work from maternity leave, Hillary and I have been training together to run a 10K race (6.2 miles). We have decided to run the Kalamazoo Klassic, even though they spell classic with a K, which is one of my pet peeves. :) The race is a week from today, and until yesterday, the farthest I've ever run was five miles.

Although both Hillary and I felt confident that we could run the distance, we thought it would be a good idea to confirm this prior to race day. So yesterday we took our lunch break at the end of the day and ran the 10K course. It went really well! Although it was a little warm and I forgot my water bottle (Hill was nice enough to share hers), we ran a really smart run--knowing when to slow our pace or speed it up to take advantage of the terrain and the shade when they were working in our favor. This resulted in a successful longest-distance-ever run for the both of us.

Hillary and I have been running together long enough that we can read each other well, and are good at supporting each other when the other person needs it. This synergy is amazing, and Hillary's ability to tell when I'm having a bad run or starting to struggle and providing positive support (sometimes without either of us saying a word) has gotten me through more than one run that would have turned into a walk if I was alone. It is so hard to find a great running buddy; I am lucky!!

Now I'm feeling very confident in our ability to run a great race next week!!

2 comments:

Latvian Rider said...

I hope your race goes well. Good Training partners are the best kind of friends.

Hillary said...

Ok - replace your name with mine and that is EXACTLY how I feel about you. I couldn't have said it any better. Synergy! I love it! I will for sure register for the race tomorrow. I'm excited!!!