Monday, May 11, 2009

My First Mother's Day!

My sweet husband got up at 5:00 in the morning to fire up the smoker and cook some BBQ beef brisket (my favorite!!!!) and pork for a Mother's Day lunch. My parents and his parents joined in on the celebration.

Todd was doing a culinary experiment--preparing the brisket in three different ways:
1. the way he originally did it (dry rub, mop, directly on the grate)
2. the way a family friend and native Texan suggested (dry rub, mop, in a foil pan on the grate)
3. the way some BBQ experts on the Food Channel suggested (salt and pepper rub, on the grate)

Needless to say, we were all very willing to participate as judges in this taste test! The conclusion was that all three varieties were incredibly tasty, and everyone had a slightly different ranking of their favorites. So really, it's hard to go wrong when smoking beef brisket!!!

We got out the table and chairs and ate our first meal of the season on the deck--I love the spring!!

Motherhood so far has been an incredible, intense, challenging, amazing and wonderful experience. In addition to the obvious development of my relationship with Nathan, it has given me a new perspective and appreciation for my mom--thanks for doing so much work and giving so much time and love to help me grow and thrive, Mom, I love you!

Posing with my sweet son.


The gang enjoying the sunshine and a brew while anxiously awaiting the brisket!!


Grandma Nancy snuggling a groggy Nathan (he had just awakened from a long nap)


Grandma Gail enjoying her first Mother's Day as a Grandma!


Hanging out with Grandpa Dan


Grandma Gail is so much fun! :)

No comments: